Prof Johan Malan – A Gospel of Works – The Error of Lordship Salvation (Part 3)

Discerning the World is an internet Discernment ministry based in Johannesburg South Africa that was founded by Deborah du Rand in 2008. Tom Lessing joined Deborah in May 2013. Tom Lessing founded the website "Waak en Bid/Watch and Pray" which was closed in 2013 and articles moved across to DTW.

1. Micheline says:

The most beautiful article I have read….ever.

How easy has God made His Gospel for us? He did all the WORK. All we have to do is say YES.

I thank the Lord with all my heart for reading this article today.

Micheline

Isn’t it wonderful! We rely on Him soley! Because as you said, HE DID ALL THE WORK

3. Aaron says:

Indeed those that teach you can lose salvation, are teaching works for salvation and therefore, teaching the idea of losing salvation, is a false gospel. It is the same error as calvinism, just from a different verbiage. Losing salvation is lordship salvation and is no salvation at all.

4. Redeemed says:

Aaron, I beg to differ. There are groups who preach a Gospel of faith apart from works. One can be saved by that Gospel.

Those same people can hold a belief counter to eternal security. They simply do not understand.
    One doesn’t deal with the issue of eternal security until one is mentored in it and certain verses are pulled out of context to support that view.

Lordship salvation is preaching that one has to renounce all sin and clean up your life in order to be saved. Is that the Gospel preached by Arminianism? If so, it is false. If not, it will result in genuine conversions.

This will be my last word on the topic as I will not be commenting for quite some time. Maybe someone else can chime in and explain in better than my feeble attempts to do so.

5. Doppies says:

Amen 🙂

Thanks Deborah!

6. Aaron says:

But that does not nullify the acceptance by faith of salvation apart from works.”

Once again, you have stated your opinion repeatedly, but I don’t agree with you. The very belief that a person can “lose” salvation, means that they have not believed in salvation by faith apart from works, since, their works might later cause them to be unsaved. That is salvation by works, not by faith. It is false gospel. So you are incorrect.

7. Marie says:

I just recently came on this post. I have been doing some studying in this area. Once saved always saved. Now I believe through studying the scriptures and being confirmed by the Spirit of God, this is a lie. May I share with you all what the Holy Spirit showed me. Once born again by the Spirit of God/true salvation of the heart, not the mind, and not just saying a quick little prayer of repentance, but truly being born again, joins us to the Lord. Paul said, those who are joined to the Lord are one spirit. If God cannot die then we will never die either, because we are joined to Him, spirtually that is. If Christ is in us by being born again, then and only then do we have eternal life, because we are now joined to HIm, who is eternal life. So eternal life is a person, the person of our Lord Jesus Christ living His life through us. Just my two cents. God bless you all my dear brothers and sisters in Christ.

8. Dwight Osborne says:

Anyone who denies Lordship salvation and teaches that it is a false doctrine is a liar and a false teacher. Thank God I don’t follow false teachers like you and that I stand on His word, otherwise I’d be deceived like many of the people writing these comments t you

9. Dwight Osborne

Lordship salvation means nothing and I will prove to you why it means nothing.

Jesus said:

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? (Luke 6:46)

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23)

Lordship salvation is peculiarly Calvinistic and yet Calvinists do not believe and do what Christ Jesus tells them to believe and to do. You only have to study TUILIP to know that they are way off track in doing what He tells them to do.

Lordship salvation deprives those who believe in it of Paul’s Romans 7 experience.

Paul of Tarsus was already a mature Christian when he woefully cried out:

Romans 7:15-18 Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled, bewildered]. I do not practice or accomplish what I wish, but I do the very thing that I loathe which my moral instinct condemns].
    16 Now if I do [habitually] what is contrary to my desire, [that means that] I acknowledge and agree that the Law is good (morally excellent) and that I take sides with it.
    17 However, it is no longer I who do the deed, but the sin [principle] which is at home in me and has possession of me.
    18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot perform it. [I have the intention and urge to do what is right, but no power to carry it out.]

So, as you can see Paul tired so very hard to forsake all his known sins but quickly found out that his own attempts were hopelessly inadequate (“For I know nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh”).

Are you going to tell a young convert to forsake all his known sins when you present the Gospel to Him? Should you do that, you will place him or her under such a great burden that they would eventually become so despondent and lose heart. How can you expect a young convert to forsake all his known sins in order to be saved when his flesh (own efforts) are good for nothing?

Jesus did not tell his disciples that the Holy Spirit would convict the world of sin and tell them to forsake their sins in order to be saved. He told them that the Holy Spirit would convict the world of sin because they do not believe in Him. Their sin does not relate to an unwillingness to forsake all their known sins. Their sin relates to unbelief. People are not sent to hell because of their sins. People are sent to hell because they do not believe in Jesus Christ, the only Person who can forgive and cleanse them of all their sins.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; (Joh 16:8-9)

Am I advising Christians to continue to sin? Absolutely not. When a sinner comes to Jesus for salvation, he already knows (under the conviction of the Holy Spirit) that he is a sinner and lost and desperately needs to receive forgiveness for his sins. He is NOT going to want to continue in all his known sins. Like Paul, however, he will eventually learn that all his good intentions to forsake all his known sins is futile because nothing good dwells in his flesh and cry out “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” (Rom 7:24-25).

None of the things I explained above feature in Lordship Salvation (Calvinism). John MacArthur, one of today’s most ardent proponents of Lordship Salvation, believes that man, because he is as dead as a corpse in his sins and transgressions, cannot believe the Gospel of his own accord and first needs to be regenerated (saved) before the gift of faith can be granted him. If only the predestined elect are saved, as Calvinists believe, and if they have no part in their salvation (including the will and the faith to be saved), what ability would they now suddenly possess to forsake their sins?

Therefore, I would like to suggest that you make very sure you are not presently following false doctrine and a false teacher. In fact Lordship Salvation is a false doctrine.