Was Charles Haddon Spurgeon a Clairvoyant?

Tom Lessing is the author of the above article. Discerning the World is an internet Christian Ministry based in Johannesburg South Africa. Tom Lessing and Deborah Ellish both own Discerning the World. For more information see the About this Website page below the comments section.

1. Maryann says:

Last August I bought the book Morning and Evening by Spurgeon at a thrift store. It was updated into today’s language by Alistair Begg. The preacher born in Scotland who now resides here in the US. As time went on I noticed there was talk of the elect in the devotionals. It made me so angry I threw the book in the trash. I guess it is safe to say that Alistair Begg also believes in the false doctrine of election. Since finding this out my husband no longer listens to Alistair Begg on the so called Christian radio station (that is another story) in this area.

2. Shane says:

Wonderful article. A spirit can expose the sins of people and make them feel terrible. But the Holy Spirit leads a person to the cross of Jesus Christ where all sins are paid for, and forgiven and washed away by faith in Jesus, with no place for condemnation.

3. Shane,

You have said it beautifully in a nutshell.

4. Jeremy says:

“I never could understand why Calvinists love to follow a serial killer (John Calvin)”? how did you get that, i know that Calvin approved the sentence of one heretic, can’t remember his name right know, who were the others?
    regards

5. Jeremy

How did I get “I never could understand why Calvinists love to follow a serial killer (John Calvin)”?

Please read this article: Calvinists Justify the Known Murderer, John Calvin.

6. Joy Michael says:

The MAIN QUESTION IS DO PEOPLE WHO HEAR THE MESSAGE ABOUT JESUS CHRIST I.E. “THE GOSPEL” FROM ANYONE IRRESPECTIVE OF OF HIS RELIGIOUS AFFILIATIONS — IS!!! Whether They Believe in “THE GOSPEL” or in the messenger. If they believe in the Gospel they are saved but if they believe in the messanger they are lost.
    John Calvin was for his time. At that time the “WORD OF GOD” was not available to the common man. He formed his own understanding and preached as such. The question is what did he preach and what did the people of his time believe. IN JESUS CHRIST or in John Calvin. Today also it is the same. What do you believe in??!! Jesus Christ or men!! Discussing the frailties and weakness’s of men and exalting these frailties serves no purpose. Each one has to account for themselves. Discussing matters which happened 1500 years ago serves no purpose. Let us EXALT OUR SAVIOUR — THE LORD JESUS CHRIST – Amen

Joy

>> John Calvin was for his time. At that time the “WORD OF GOD” was not available to the common man. He formed his own understanding and preached as such. The question is what did he preach and what did the people of his time believe. IN JESUS CHRIST or in John Calvin. Today also it is the same. What do you believe in??!! Jesus Christ or men!! Discussing the frailties and weakness’s of men and exalting these frailties serves no purpose.

John Calvin has lived on till this time as well, hence you have a multitude of Calvinists all believing in Calvinism that they believe is the gospel, do you believe in predestination, that God chose you to be saved before time memorial?

8. Shaun says:

Was C.H.Spurgeon a fraudster or demon possessed to point out a secret sin ? Perhaps , perhaps not . Who are we to limit or place in a shoe box the move of God ?
    Did C.H.Spurgeon preach a false gospel , I think not , the gospel he preached was not only a Calvinistic gospel but the gospel that the Apostle Paul preached , Paul preached the gospel of Faith alone in Christ Alone to the glory of God alone . Any thing short of this message is a false message and nullifies the death of Jesus.

Salvation is found in Christ alone , these men preached this gospel . They understood the doctrine of justification by faith as the entire Bible echoes.

As for doctrine of election – scripture provides more than adequate verses to support this doctrine ,having said that the Book of Revelation has a verse declaring ,” whosoever will let him come drink from the fountain of life .

How can he come , if he is not drawn , how can he drink if he does not accept , no wonder the Bible says salvation belongs to our God . What an Awesome God whose heart is that none should perish but all have everlasting life .

All I am trying to say or ask, with all the good that came from the ministry of someone like C.H.Spurgeon , do we say that is was not of God if we declare him a clairvoyant ?

9. Hi Shaun. You don’t seem to know anything about Calvinism. Please tell me what do you think of the following statements?

1) Jesus did not die for everyone.
    2) Jesus only died for the elect.
    3) Jesus does not love everyone.
    4) Jesus only loves the elect.
    5) God only draws the elect to his Son.
    6) God hates sinners.
    7) John Calvin was a serial killer.
    8) God decreed everything, even Adam and Eve’s sin. King David’s murder of Bathsheba’s husband and his adultery with her, and Judas’ betrayal of Jesus, when a child is molested or raped by someone, that’s right God decreed it, i.e., EVERYTHING.
    9) God casts the reprobate in hell to give Him more glory.
    10. God casts the reprobate in hell because it gives Him great pleasure.
    11) Man does not have a free-will.
    12) Free willism is idolatry.

There are many more questions I can ask you but these twelve will suffice for the moment. Take your time.

10. Chuck says:

“The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox’s gospel is my gospel.”

C. H. Spurgeon

11. Augustine was a Roman Catholic and Calvin a follower of Augustine. I suggest that you rather listen to Paul of Tarsus. The first two mentioned were heretics. Spurgeon believed that man does not have a free will, and Calvin believed that he should murder those who do have a free will before they could act upon theirs.

12. Arturo says:

What extents some men will go to prove a point, as far as slander and fabricate something so utterly absurd about someone like Spurgeon, reminds me of just how full of [edited out] the world is. People will believe what they will believe no matter what. Whoever wrote this is better suited for fiction.