GOD NEEDS PROOF OF YOUR LOVE FOR HIM

Discerning the World is an internet Discernment ministry based in Johannesburg South Africa that was founded in 2008. Tom Lessing originally founded the website "Waak en Bid/Watch and Pray". Tom Lessing joined Discerning the World in May 2013 and all his articles were moved across to DTW.

1. I love this article Tom! I pray many listen and learn.

I am not boasting by any means, I have many Christians asking me how I just accept that I am ill and just love Jesus Christ no matter how bad things get in my life. I know He is looking after me.

They tell me that they are constantly questioning God as to why the are ill, or why their life is so terrible. “Why would God allow a child of His to be ill?” they say. Others command God to heal them and travel from faith healer to faith healer, waiting for that moment when their faith hits it’s peak and God heals them.

I have told people to be careful what they say to God, their continuous unhappiness with their situation can turn into hatred towards God. “Oh no!” they cry, “I would would never turn my back on God or stop loving Him”. Is that really true I ask them? Much to their disgust. Ending my conversation I state that if they carry on like this at stage of their illness, what are they going to be like when are are ever sicker?

Unhappiness and discontent slowly breeds hatred.

Just a note, this does in no way mean that I never complain to the Lord about my problems, the difference is, I don’t question His ways, and I don’t blame Him, or expect Him to heal me, etc.

2. Colleen says:

Thank you for this article. I used to complain and murmur about my difficult situations thinking that it is justifiable. I repent of it and will walk in obedience to the Lord no matter what circumstances I’m in. May the Lord give me the strength to go through them with a joyful heart

3. Pieter says:

Dankie Tom vir hierdie skrywe. Ons as mense mummureer so maklik want meeste van ons dink dat dit ons voorreg is. Ek gaan ook noual deur diep waters vir baie jare en ek het ook op stadiums gekom om vir die Here te vra: “Hoekom Here, hoekom vir so lank? Hoekom ek Here?” Die Here het berusting vir my gebring in my hart en siel en Hy het vir my gewys dat Hy my elke dag versorg en geondheid, krag en energie gee en ek het die liefde van die Here begin ervaar en nog steeds elke dag en ek het op ghou om vrae te vra oor hoekom en waarom ek ens.Ek loof en prys Hom elke dag met sang,Bybel lees en bid.

4. Pieter,

Baie dankie virr jou mooi getuienis. Mag dit ook vir ander van groot betekenis en ondersteuning wees.

5. Helena says:

Dankie Tom. So n bevestiging van my eie worsteling. Met groot dankbaarheid het dit tot my deurgedring dat God meer belangstel in ons siele as ons gerief hier op aarde. Oo al die vrae wat God moes verduur van my totdat ek Oswald Chambers se verklaring van Job gelees het. Job moes uiteindelik erken dat hy nie God kan bevraagteken nie want Hy is soverein.Dat dit nooit oor ons gaan nie maar oor Hom. So dankbaar God het my uit hierdie Positive & Prospery “speak your blessings into existince” gelei. Dit is hier waar ek begin vra het maar wat het geword van vra vir God en Sy Wil. Hierdie “demand your blessings” het nie sin gemaak nie want dit is nie hoe ek die Gospel verstaan nie. MICHA se “while I sit in darkness the Lord wil be my light” en JOB se “though You slay me, yet will I wait and trust Him” is my skild teen die vyand se pyle om in selfbejammering te verval. Die Woord se tog dat ons moeilik sal he hier op aarde en dat die smal weg deur min gevind sal word. Die opgee van die “self” is DIE moeilikste ding om op te gee. MAAR die rus is groot in HOM as ons dit regkry d.m.v. SY Genade en Jesus se intersessie.

6. Daisy says:

Thank you for these words!

7. Koko says:

Dear Tom, Thank you for this post and reminding us of these important truths that loving Christ also entails a.) feeding the sheep with the truth of God’s word and by extension earnestly contending for the faith for John 1:17 says,
    [17]For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” Many of us have forgotten the “truth” part when there can be no true love without truth hence “grace and truth” which came through Christ. b.) Not murmuring when we encounter what the Bible calls “diverse temptations” ie the trials of life for they come for a purpose and that is to try/prove our faith to these two ends a.) To work in us patience seen here in James 1:2-4
    [2]My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
    [3]Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    [4]But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. b.) So that our faith when tried will result in our praise at the coming of our Lord Jesus seen here in 1 Peter 1:7
    [7]That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. This reminds me of the response given by Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego when going through a fiery trial of their faith. Daniel 3:16-18
    [16]Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
    [17]If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
    [18]But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up”. The trying of our faith which comes through affliction and/or persecution, tribulation, trials literally anything that tries your faith serves to separate the Wheat (true believers) from the Chaff (those who are offended and turn back as a result of the affliction and persecution that ariseth for the Word’s sake – Mark 4:17) and for us believers works patience in us or let’s us see what’s in our hearts and if needs be to repent (eg if we find ourselves murmuring). Let us therefore have this mindset towards the trying of our faith and that is God is good and that the affliction(s) God allows our way is for a reason(s) as stated above. Let us, like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, trust and love God to the point where our joy and in Him is not dependent on whether we are delivered from sickness, tribulation etc. Let us also remember as 2 Corinthians 4:17 says that our light affliction is but for a moment. “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;”
    May you Debbie (big hugs and I can sooo relate to what you are going through. I know what it means to wake up everyday not feeling a 100%) and everyone going through one challenge or another be further comforted with these words seen here in “Romans 8:35-39
    [35]Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
    [36]As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
    [37]Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
    [38]For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    [39]Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. And also John 16:33 which says,
    [33]These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

8. Mark says:

Of course, another reason Jesus asked Peter 3 times, “…lovest thou me?” was a ‘rebuttal’ to Peter denying Christ 3 times before the cock crowed.
    Excellent article and very timely.