Neuroplasticity, A science falsely so-called

Discerning the World is an internet Discernment ministry based in Johannesburg South Africa that was founded in 2008. Tom Lessing originally founded the website "Waak en Bid/Watch and Pray". Tom Lessing joined Discerning the World in May 2013 and all his articles were moved across to DTW.

1. Andrew says:

you have no right to lead people astray with your demonic testimonies of neuro science and it proving the bible. your an ignorant fool or your just simply jealous of these findings. the scientific community is filled with nothing but carnal minds that believe in evolution and completely put god out of life in general and its about time science starts proving gods existence instead of denying it. I hope you take your website down cuz your leading gods people astray and that makes you an enemy of god my friend and trust me……since you obviously don’t know him…that’s not a good thing. I pray your done with your demonic doctrine. get born again you foooooool

[DTW edit – this comment was sent to DTW via email – I thought I would do Andrew a favour and post his comment under a relevant article because he struggles to follow instructions.]

Andrew

1) Thanks for all your insults, you sound like a real Christian – not
    2) You are very confused and don’t read properly

3. Andrew wrote:

and its about time science starts proving gods existence instead of denying it.

How does science prove the existence of an entity who is spirit?

What would you say? Is the brain a self-operating mechanism or is there something else that operates it?

4. Marthina says:

It is because of this article that my eyes have been opened!! I had an uneasy feeling about DrStrydom’s book. But I wanted to rub it away when I saw all the Scripture reference… I did some googling and found your site. Forever greatful! But I really need to get back in to the Word. Not other’s teaching even though they have the Phd.

5. Hi Marthina,

I am pleased to hear that the article helped to open your eyes to the dangers set out in it.

6. heater says:

Dr. Carolyn Leaf is wonderful and blessed and has blessed so many already.
    Please give her kind greetings from me.

If she “uses scripture” by quoting it then you must think Jesus did the same.

Dr.Leaf quotes scripture and that Word of God stands on its own without your belittling it for the benefit of this web site.

heater

Der Heater

>> If she “uses scripture” by quoting it then you must think Jesus did the same.

So if someone quotes scripture then they MUST be godly is that what you are saying? I am sorry but you are wrong. Satan knows the bible inside and out and he can appear as an angel of light; 2 Corinthians 11:14

Satan even has ministers of righteousness: 2 Corinthains 11:15 In otherwords Satan has pastors who can quote scripture but they preach a different gospel to the one that is in the bible.

8. Aware says:

Thank you for taking the time to write this article. Michelle Strydoms book was given as a gift to my mother who has hounded me with this book for the past year. Suffice to say I have been seriously ill the last ear and the lack of moral support from my mother has drained me to the point I now avoid talking to her. No matter what way I turned this book was thrown at me from every angle. Fear, harboured begrudgements from childhood and goodness knows what else. This is dangerous and evil stuff and its broken and damaged a very close bond. I have prayed about this and I know it is in the Lords hands but I have sent my mother the link to your article in the hope that she will at least be open minded enough to read it to the end.

Dear Aware

I will pray too that your mother reads this article and wants to hear the truth. I too am very ill, with 3 debilitating illnesses. It started off with 1 illness back in 2008 and now I’ve graduated with 2 more – Hoyray! Every 6 months I go to hospital for a few days to have a procedure done and during this time, during my stay in the hospital I preach to the ladies who are in the other beds in the same ward. I have asked God why I am so ill, and I believe that when the time comes, and if it’s His will, He will heal me. Until then He looks after me with the best doctors and medication. There are millions of women and men who are ill and are having all sorts of false teaching shoved in their direction; get healed quick, get that miracle you need now, etc. But it’s not about you and your health, it’s about who you meet along the way who you can preach the gospel of Jesus Christ too so that they may be saved 🙂

10. Pienaar says:

I dont think you have actually read the book. Everything I have read thus far, deals with sin and how sin has distorted Gods plan for our lives. I see scripture quoted in context, but actually in your writing see scripture out of context, quoted just to support your point.
    In essences see says: deal with your sin at the cross, now deal with the effect of sin through the Holy Spirit so you can be healed.

I am still reading and thrugh the wisdom of God by His Spirit am able to discern. Where I miss it, I believe He is faithfull to His Word and will keep me.

11. Hi Pienaar,

How on earth can you deal with sin by reprogramming your brain? That’s got nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is another gospel.

Dr. Caroline Leaf says:

“If we have wired bad thoughts in, we can wire them out. This is = neuroplasticity; the science of “renewing the mind” (Rom. 12:2)

If renewing the mind was a science we would have had no need of Jesus Christ. The biggest atheist whose god is “science” could have done it just as well. It’s blasphemy, my friend because she is presenting and promoting another Jesus, another spirit and another gospel. If I’d been you I would run away like Joseph ran from Potifar’s wife when she tried to seduce him. This is much worse. it is the worst kind of spiritual adultery imaginable. Flee, my friend and the quicker you do, the better for you.

Dear Pienaar

Tell me something,

Q1. Why are you reading this book about reprogramming your brain?
    Q2. If you are looking for healing why are you not reading the bible instead that gives you EXACT instructions?
    Q3. How did you land up on this website reading our article on Neuroplasticity?

You said “now deal with the effect of sin through the Holy Spirit so you can be healed.”

I am confused as to what she/you are saying here, are you saying it’s the Holy Spirit that heals you from sin? Was it Jesus Christ who was crucified, died, buried and resurrected so that all who come to him may be saved/healed or was it the Holy Spirit who hung on the cross for you sins?
    When you sin, you ASK Jesus Christ for forgiveness, you don’t go to the Holy Spirit and tell Him you are sorry. You go to Jesus Christ.
    Show me one verse in the bible please where the Holy Spirit is the one who heals us?

13. Andrew wrote:

Hopefully, Andrew has come to his senses and is now a truly born-again child of God.

14. Liana says:

This article is messed up. I am a christian who suffers from anxiety and depression and Dr Carolines book helped me to TURN to God but it is a choice to PUT ON the armour of God and have the mind of Christ, its something which we have to choose and if you read her book you will realise that she encourages us that we can use the scripture and prayer to renew our mind but if we are filling it with garbage it isn’t going to magically be healthy or renewed by Christ because choosing garbage isnt choosing Christ. She does NOT imply or ever say we deal with our sin with our mind but she says that filling out mind with the scripture and spending time in the word will help us to battle sin. I wonder who here has actually read her book. This article is so out of context its painful to read. Dr Caroline’s book has helped me to TURN to Jesus and the bible and I hardly see an outcome like that as ‘demonic’?. Not to mention all this pulling apart other Christians doesn’t actually accomplish anything. Christ calls us to be of one accord and in unity, not pull apart each other or form some kind of divided kingdom (over nothing). It is also incredibly uninformed to generalise all scientists to be pagan- God created science and the laws that our world lives under, not paganism so Christians should be at the forefront of science.

15. Dear Liana

You said “She does NOT imply or ever say we deal with our sin with our mind but she says that filling out mind with the scripture and spending time in the word will help us to battle sin.”

The book says that? Really? The books says you must fill your mind with positive things like scripture and reading the Word of God, but no where does she say give the REAL answer to sin:

1) You need to be born again and have the Holy Spirit come to abide in you – 1 Peter 1:23 and 1 John 2:27
    2) You need what the bible calls Metanoia “a change of one’s way of life resulting from repentance after a spiritual conversion to a child of God“. You can so called renew your mind all you want through positive thinking but if you don’t change your ways then your conversion to being born again is false.
    3) The book fails to tell you that you need to go to Jesus Christ in prayer and repent of your sin and then ask HIM to help you in future to not sin again. Of course you will sin again, that is why you ask Jesus for forgiveness again and tell Jesus Christ that you really don’t want to sin again and HE has to help you.

Acts 3:19 “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;”

Our article sounds messed up to you because you don’t understand the gospel of Jesus Christ and Dr Caroline understands it even less, her teachings are based on new age practices. Dr Caroline is all about filling your mind with positive things i.e., reading the word of God, but she leaves Jesus Christ and your relationship with Him totally out of the picture. Now don’t get me wrong as Christians we read the Word of God to understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ, NOT the way Dr Caroline is using the scriptures as a tool for thinking positively.

your said, “Dr Caroline’s book has helped me to TURN to Jesus”

Would you mind telling us how you turned to Jesus?

you said “Christ calls us to be of one accord and in unity, not pull apart each other or form some kind of divided kingdom (over nothing).”

Yes all genuine born again believers will be in UNITY and agree with eachother, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:” (John 10:27).
    However the bible says that division in the church is an absolute must because if there is no division how will you know what is truth and what is error? “For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.” (1 Corinthians 11:18-19)

For instance, do you believe that Catholics are Christian?

16. Hansie Louw says:

I find some interesting points in the article and do not want to elaborate on any of the points.

What I do want to say is that we just do not know enough. We do know that God can heal, we know that God does heal and we also know that some times there are no healing. We do not know enough about the working of the brain (which is part of the creation of God) to reject neuroplasticity. By neuroplasticity I simply mean the ability of the brain to create new circuits.

I doubt very much that the Holy Spirit is in the brain (this is stated in the article). I doubt that my spirit resides in the brain either. The stomach maybe … but we do not know that.

I belief that God heals and I know that he sometimes does not heal – that is not as a result of the faith or lack thereof of the person that is ill. It seems to me that your thoughts could make you ill or keep you ill.

This is different to receiving my salvation. I may be saved and still have negative thoughts haunting me. That does not say that I am not saved, it just says that there are still negative thoughts around. That negative thinking may lead to a life that is not a full life.

the truth is, we do not know enough and the Bible is not a Science handbook so we cannot argue out of a verse or two that these doctors are wrong. We could argue that they are not always correct in how they explain or see things, but that does not mean that everything is wrong or evil.

Pray for a healthy body and for healing in the body, but make sure that you do things that keep you healthy,like exercise, rest adequately and eat healthy foods and keep a balance in life. Blessings

17. Hansie Louw wrote,

Neuroplasticity has nothing to do with divine healing. It concerns man’s alleged manipulation of the brain to get rid of bad patterns and to replace it with good patterns. As such it replaces Christ’s blood which is the only way to cleanse sinners of their sin. In other words, it is another gospel.

The Holy Spirit lives in the regenerated spirit and not in the stomach. You should know that.

Negative thoughts, as you put it, are not overcome by Neuroplasticity. We are commanded to “reckon that we are dead to sin and alive to God.” (Romans 6:11).

Jesus said, “You shall know the truth and the truth will make you free.” I prefer to bel;ieve Him rather than you who says we cannot know the whole truth, and those so-called doctors who “are not always correct.” A mixture of good and evil is EVIL. Why do I say so? Listen up.

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. (2 Co 11:13-15).

You are welcome to follow so-called doctors who are not always correct bu allegedly are not evil. It is the TRUTH that sets you free, and not a mixture of correct or incorrect, or good and evil.

18. Masadi says:

I too wonder whether you have actually read the whole book or attended a conference. I have just been to Dr Michelle’s conference a few days ago. Never did she say or imply that you can heal or change your destiny just by changing your thoughts. The first step is always salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ. What the course teaches is the next step: sanctification, becoming the bride of Jesus for His return. Putting on the armour of God, becoming Love. Regarding healing, the message is repentance from sin and turning away from it. Dr Strydom’s calling was to be a doctor, and I believe that through her relationship with Jesus Christ it was revealed to her what the Bible teaches about healing.

19. normie says:

Who is Deborah and Tom Lessing?

All I sense is that they are not neuroscientists but have analyzing paralyzing spirits? I wonder how many hours have you sat passively on your bum writing all these criticisms. This in itself is displaying your lack in integrity. Why are you guys not rather keeping your opinionated and judgements to yourself and getting your hands dirty doing Gods work, restoring the brokenness operationally?

The total flavor of this website is a shame to Christianity.

20. Dear normie

I love it when we get told by the judges to judge not. Very funny Laugh/ Satan loves it when people like yourself work on his behalf to try hide the evil he promotes. “A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.” (Galatians 5:9) We will expose the leven and proclaim the truth.

Luke 12:1-6
      2 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
      2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
      3 Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

And shout and proclaim we will. Yes/

We may not be neuroscientists, but we sure are born again Christians and you won’t believe this, but we were all given brains by God to understand things and to know when we are being lied too.

The bible says this about those professiong to be so intelligent:

Romans 1:22 “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.”

You said “That’s where you will experience neuroplasticity first hand- and realize the hope neuroplasticity understanding provides for restoring human potential towards dominium!”

Goodness, I had no idea neuroplasticity (opening your mind to demonic control) replaced Jesus Christ. Imagine that. Well actually we did know that, that’s what this article is about and you confirmed it for us. Thank you. Up/

You think neuroplasticity can save you? The bible says:

The Message of the Cross

(2 Corinthians 1:18-25)
      18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
      the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”b
      20Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

22 Jews demand signs and Greeks search for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
      25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.

21. Robbie says:

In 2013 Mrs Leaf was exposed for he contradictory “teachings.
    “More and more, people are realizing that beneath the facade of her numerous Instagram posts, happy snaps, and the allure of popular success, Dr Leafs teachings on science and the Bible don’t match up with actual science and good theology. While many in the church adorn themselves with her teaching, a growing minority are starting to realise that the Emperor has no clothes.”

Growing minority – take note…road is too narrow for more.

22. Robbie says:

Wow, in this article of “EMERGENTWATCH.COM of Jan 2015 it reads…

“Science” or Just Another Fig Leaf?
    One of the Keynote Speakers at last week’s Catalyst Dallas confab was Dr. Caroline Leaf, a communication Pathologist specializing in Neuro-psychology. Leaf is close friends with Word-faith preachers Ken Copeland & Phil Pringle. In her book, “Switch On Your Brain”, she thanks James Robison, Joyce Meyer and Marilyn Hickey for their “inspiration”!

This woman is a witch!

Joyce Meyer says of her work, “I am amazed at Dr Leaf’s ability to merge science and the Bible, and teach us the science and Scripture behind the amazing, God-given power we have within our minds”

Praises from another witch!

23. Touche Deborah, I couldn’t have said it any better. Neuroplasticity is an enemy of the cross of Jesus Christ.

1. 25 January, 2015

[…] to have proven that contemplative meditation is scientifically confirmable.” – See http://www.discerningtheworld.com/2014/11/06/neuroplasticity-and-how-to-re-wire-your-brain/ – And so we have the same old lie from the garden, and more “scientific” fig […]