Gift of Speaking in Tongues, Prophecy and Healing

speaking in tongues

Gift of Speaking in Tongues, Prophecy and Healing – is it biblical?

Back in the day at Pentecost, in the upper room, a special gift was bestowed on the disciples that they would be able to go out and spread the gospel of Jesus Christ successfully.  One of the gifts was the ability of speaking in tongues.  Many people today who speak in tongues today seem to think that this gift of tongues was a heavenly language. But this is not true.  The gift of tongues bestowed on those in the upper room spoke an earthly language.  The gift given to the disciples enabled them to communicate with people from other nations who spoke other languages, how else could they spread the gospel.

Acts 2:6-11  “Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.” And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?”  And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?” Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,” Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,” Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.”

Now…

All genuine Christians believe that the gift of tongues existed as mentioned in Scripture.

1 Corinthians 12:8-11   “8To one is given in and through the [Holy] Spirit [the power to speak] a message of wisdom, and to another [the power to express] a word of knowledge and understanding according to the same [Holy] Spirit;   9To another [wonder-working] faith by the same [Holy] Spirit, to another the extraordinary powers of healing by the one Spirit;  10To another the working of miracles, to another prophetic insight (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose); to another the ability to discern and distinguish between [the utterances of true] spirits [and false ones], to another various kinds of [unknown] tongues, to another the ability to interpret [such] tongues.  11All these [gifts, achievements, abilities] are inspired and brought to pass by one and the same [Holy] Spirit, Who apportions to each person individually [exactly] as He chooses”.

And the Bible clearly states that the Corinthians spoke an earthly language (tongues) and God alone understands all languages.

Corinth, was a market visted by many a merchant from Asia, Africa, and Europe, and had a wildly mixed population speaking many a different language.  To exercise of the gift of tongues in preaching bought many an unbeliever to salvation.

1Cor 14:2    “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.”

G1100 γλῶσσα glossa (glows`-sah) n.
1. the tongue
2. (by implication) a language
3. (specially) a language not naturally acquired

1 Corinthians 12:10 mentions the gift of speaking in tongues and also mentions the gift of  interpreting tongues.  Tongues had to be interpreted so believers could understand what was being preached to the unbeliever.

The ‘gift of tongues’ given to the early church was given as the Holy Spirit willed. Because the Holy Spirit is sovereign. No one has the right to demand that he be given any certain gift or gifts as an evidence of the Holy Spirit’s baptism.  Tongues was certainly not evidence of salvation.

The Corinthian church for example did not have the Bible, the gift of tongues was needed in authenticating the Message that was delivered as being DIVINE;  these signs followed the proclamation of the truth.

When a person accepts Jesus Christ into their life they instantly receive the Holy Spirit who comes to abide in them – this alone is a gift.

Do not confuse speaking in tongues as being a fruit of the Spirit.

The fruit of the Spirit is evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit.  The fruits of the Spirit are mentioned in:

Galatians 5:22-23;   “22But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,23Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].”

However…

Paul ended up rebuking the Corinthians over and over again because they did not understand the gospel.   Paul scolded the Corinthians for misusing the gift of tongues and speaking gibberish and making a mockery of the OT fulfillment of prophecy by Isaiah. This prophecy came about due to Israel’s disobedience to God.

Isaiah 28:11;   “11No, but [the Lord will teach the rebels in a more humiliating way] by men with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people [says Isaiah, and teach them His lessons].”

Paul points out the OT Scripture of Isaiah 28:11 to the Corinthians because they (being Jews) should know the Law well…but they don’t.

1 Corinthians 12:21;  “In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord”.

Paul uses the reference to Isaiah to show them how they lack in knowing of OT scripture, therefore they lack even more when it comes to the gospel.  Isaiah specifically says that tongues will be used as a tool to preach the word of God to Israel, not the way the Corinthians are using it. It also says that even though they hear the word of God they still will not listen.

The gift of speaking in tongues was used as a sign only to unbelievers:

1 Corinthians 14:22   “22Thus [unknown] tongues are meant for a [supernatural] sign, not for believers but for unbelievers [on the point of believing], while prophecy (inspired preaching and teaching, interpreting the divine will and purpose) is not for unbelievers [on the point of believing] but for believers.”

To use tongues in any other way is unbiblical and when used the gospel was preached and people were saved because they heard the message, the sign of the gift of tongues followed only because the truth had been preached and the unbeliever was then on the point of believing.

Tongues was given by God to certain people when they came into contact with others who did not speak their mother tongue.  They suddenly by God’s power could speak the other person’s language and the gospel was preached to them that they may come to know Jesus Christ and be saved.  The gift of interpretation was given to another person, in order that anyone nearby could hear that the TRUTH was being preached.

The Corinthians turned tongues speaking into a mockery claiming they spoke ‘heavenly’ languages.  They used it for self glory and self gratification and they puffed themselves up making one person seem more spiritual than another. Paul lambastes them and calls the Corinthians spiritually immature and childish in their thinking.

1 Corinthians 14:20   “20Brethren, do not be children [immature] in your thinking; continue to be babes in [matters of] evil, but in your minds be mature [men].”

The Corinthians never grew up.  They remained spiritually immature.  They failed to study the scriptures  just like those churches today who follow the Corinthian blueprint.

Hebrews 5:12-14  “12For even though by this time you ought to be teaching others, you actually need someone to teach you over again the very first principles of God’s Word. You have come to need milk, not solid food. 13For everyone who continues to feed on milk is obviously inexperienced and unskilled in the doctrine of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in purpose, thought, and action), for he is a mere infant [not able to talk yet]!  14But solid food is for full-grown men, for those whose senses and mental faculties are trained by practice to discriminate and distinguish between what is morally good and noble and what is evil and contrary either to divine or human law.”

The Corinthians thought they were so spiritual, but the Bible says they were manifesting carnality:

1 Corinthians 3:1;   “HOWEVER, BRETHREN, I could not talk to you as to spiritual [men], but as to nonspiritual [men of the flesh, in whom the carnal nature predominates], as to mere infants [in the new life] in Christ [unable to talk yet!]”

And there was even gross sin among these spiritual Corinthians:

1 Corinthians 5:1;  ” IT IS actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, impurity of a sort that is condemned and does not occur even among the heathen; for a man has [his own] father’s wife.”

The gift of speaking in tongues was a TEMPORARY gift bestowed on people by the Holy Spirit

  1. To preach the gospel to all nations
  2. As a sign to confirm the gospel message preached because people would come to be saved thereafter.
  3. The fulfillment of OT scripture.

Once the Bible was written the gift of speaking in tongues has ceased and was replaced by love and truth.

1 Corinthians 13:8   “Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth].”

Tongues served their purpose, a very useful one,  Now with God’s complete revelation in our hands (the Bible), we do not require signs to manifest it as the Word of God. When preached, it authenticates itself.

Truth = The Word of God

Paul says that LOVE never fails and this leads us to the 2 commandments that Jesus spoke about in

Mark 12:30-31  and they are:    30And you shall love the Lord your God out of and with your whole heart and out of and with all your soul (your life) and out of and with all your mind (with your faculty of thought and your moral understanding) and out of and with all your strength. This is the first and principal commandment.    31The second is like it and is this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

The gift of prophecy (foreseeing the future) too shall be entirely unnecessary as the Bible contains everything you need to know for yesterday, today and tomorrow.  God has a stern warning for those with new words, new revelations that fall outside of scripture:

Revelation 22:18   “if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book”.

In those days Paul and the other Apostles wrote and prophesied in part – in other words they did not know everything until it was give to them by the Holy Spirit.  Paul said in…

1 Corinthians 13:8-11;   “8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

that which is perfect = The Word of God / Bible

G5046 τέλειος teleios (tel’-ei-os) adj.
1. complete
{(neuter as noun, with G3588) completeness; in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.}

Truth = The Word of God

Jesus Christ = Perfect and the Truth.

The imperfect, the incomplete =  speaking in tongues, prophecy (new knowledge / foretelling the future) has ceased!

Now the big question WHEN exactly did speaking in tongues cease?

The Berean Bible Society says:

“The sign gifts, speaking in tongues, prophecy, the gift of healing, etc. were operating all through the Book of Acts, and these gifts are mentioned in the letters that Paul wrote during the Acts period. But when we turn to the letters written after the Book of Acts—the 4 Prison Epistles, and the 3 Pastoral Epistles, we find that the sign gifts either aren’t mentioned at all or we see—as with the gift of healing—that they were no longer operating in Paul’s life. What he could do in Acts 28, he could no longer do in Philippians, or in 1 and 2 Timothy. He could heal all the sick on the island in Acts 28:9, but he couldn’t heal any of his closest co-workers—Timothy, Epaphroditus, Trophimus—after the close of the Book of Acts.

Arranging Paul’s letters in the order that he wrote them allows us to see the pattern of truth that is found in the Word of God:

The sign gifts were operating in Acts and in all of the Acts Epistles: Galatians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Corinthians and Romans.

But in this time period, in 1 Corinthians 13:8-12, Paul tells us that the Lord had revealed to him that these gifts would cease some day. And they did, because in the letters written after the Book of Acts, the sign gifts had ceased, just as the Lord said that they would….”

“We can now give a scriptural answer to the question that we started with: when did the sign gifts cease?

The answer: The sign gifts ceased at the end of the Book of Acts. There is no record in Scripture of any of the sign gifts operating in any of the letters that Paul wrote after the end of the Acts period, and it is clear that the gift of healing had ceased since Paul could no longer heal even his closest co-workers after the close of the Book of Acts.”

A note about the gift of healing

“As we have seen, Paul was able to heal many sick people all through the Book of Acts. He healed every sick person on the Island of Malta in Acts 28. And he wrote to the Corinthians about the gift of healing that was operating in their church during the Acts period (1 Cor. 12:9). But we have also seen that with the close of the Book of Acts, the gift of healing ceased to operate. Paul could no longer heal anyone—not Epaphroditus in Philippians 2, not Timothy in 1 Timothy 5:23, not Trophimus in 2 Timothy 4:20. The gift of healing had ceased to operate, along with the other sign gifts.

Today God no longer gives the gift of healing, and there are no “healers.” But we should not think that God Himself no longer heals! In Philippians 2 we read of a healing that God did after the gift of healing had ceased to operate:

“Yet I considered it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker, and fellow soldier, but your messenger and the one who ministered to my need; since he was longing for you all, and was distressed because you had heard that he was sick.

“For indeed he was sick almost unto death; but God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.

“Therefore I sent him the more eagerly, that when you see him again you may rejoice, and I may be less sorrowful.

“Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness, and hold such men in esteem; because for the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service toward me” (Phil. 2:25-30).

Paul commends Epaphroditus very highly for his faithfulness even unto death. But when Epaphroditus fell sick—near to death—Paul was no longer able to heal him because the gift of healing had ceased to operate. But we read that Epaphroditus was healed—directly by the Lord: “He was sick unto death but the Lord had mercy on him….”

There is healing today, but there is no gift of healing, there are no “divine healers.” There is no gift of healing today but God still heals!”  (Emphasis added) https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/when-did-the-gift-of-tongues-cease/

God still heals if you go to Jesus Christ directly in prayer and pray for healing.  If it is God’s Will that you be healed, He will heal you.  You do not go to a faith healer, or a divine healer to heal you.  You do not need an intermediary between you and Jesus Christ to pray for healing.  You go to God through Jesus Christ yourself in prayer.

Tom Lessing says “As far as healing is concerned, Paul could have laid his hands on Timothy and prayed for him. Instead, he wrote, “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine (not the wine we know today) for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities. (1 Timothy  5:23). Paul himself could probably have gone to one of his brethren and asked him to pray for his healing. Instead, he himself prayed and God said, “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9). Wow, think of that. Paul was content with his suffering because he preferred to be endowed with the power of God. That’s the best medicine there is.”

Jews (signs) vs Gentiles (faith)

The end of the Book of Acts was also the end of God’s dealings with the nation of Israel. Acts 28:25-28 stands as God’s last words to the nation of Israel for nearly 2000 years. The Jews sought after signs (1 Corinthians 1:22) so God gave them signs including the Gentiles who were among them in order to provoke Israel to jealousy (Romans 11:14). But with the close of the book of Acts, God sets aside Israel for a time to turn his attention to the Gentiles, and when God gave up on the ‘the people who needed signs‘ (Jews) for a time, the sign gifts passed away. Jews need signs – Gentiles believe by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7)

If Tongues was a heavenly language what confusion there would have been.

Tom Lessing says: “Whereas the confusion of tongues in Genesis 11:1-19 was the means God used to judge humankind during the construction of the Tower of Babel, the tongues phenomenon in Acts 2 was the means to bless all the nations. The original curse in Genesis was upended in Acts by removing the curse of confusion and replacing it with a blessing of clear comprehension. It heralded a new beginning for all mankind, showering on every single human being the grace and mercy to be saved through faith alone in the finished work of Christ alone, and through the blessed work of the Holy Spirit alone. Faith and faith alone is the means by which lost sinners are saved (Hebrews 11:6). However, faith is not simply a leap in the dark. It must and always does go hand in hand with a clear understanding of the Gospel. (Romans 10:17). To facilitate his blessing on all mankind, God enabled his disciples to speak in the languages of every nation present on that glorious day of Pentecost when the Comforter, in fulfillment of Christ’s promise in John 14:16, 26; 15: 26 and 16:7, was poured out on all flesh (John 17:2).

Bear in mind that there was no-one on that day who interpreted the various languages. The multitude of nations who were present heard them speak in their own mother tongue (Acts 2:4). The interpretation of tongues (other known languages) became necessary only when the church was established and believers began to worship in their own venues convenient for them to attend. The interpretation was for the benefit of the believers and the speaking in tongues itself for the unbelievers who began to frequent the different churches (1 Corinthians 14:22). The gift of prophecy was not to predict future events but to preach the unadulterated Gospel.

If it had been true that the disciples spoke in unknown, heavenly tongues on the Day of Pentecost, without someone having to interpret them, confusion would have been the order of the day. No one would or could then have been saved (Romans 10:17). Confusion, as already mentioned, was a means God used throughout mankind’s history to judge them. (viz. Genesis 11:7 Deuteronomy 28:49).”

IMPORTANT!  In very very rare instances God can and will give the gift of speaking in tongues to people who might come into contact with other people where their is a language barrier.  In that instance the gospel will be preached to unbelievers, and unbelievers will come to Jesus Christ and be SAVED.

Today speaking in tongues and prophesying is self-induced or demonic.  If you speak in tongues I urge you to read your Bible and study the matter urgently and rid yourself of this childish behavior or worse, demonic affliction.  See here for help Seeking Salvation or Deliverance?

Dueling Tongues from Acts2031 on Vimeo.

Please share:

Deborah (Discerning the World)

Deborah Ellish is the author of the above article. Discerning the World is an internet Christian Ministry based in Johannesburg South Africa. Tom Lessing and Deborah Ellish both own Discerning the World. For more information see the About this Website page below the comments section.

guest
161 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Cobie

Hey,

Can anyone refer me to a comment or somewhere in this article that talks about 1 Corinthians 14:2 “For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. ” (ESV)

Thank you

Cobie

I did not make a story of one verse I asked a question about the verse and I did read through the passage quite a few times.

I am just asking questions trying to learn more about the Bible.

I also have read the article about prophesying and the one about the Biblical Holy Spirit and the one you recommended in your reply to my comment. I have been sitting with these topics for about a month now before I found all these articles.

Can I please have the scripture where you said “we know both from Scripture and church history that most of the so-called miraculous gifts passed away shortly after the Bible was completed.”?

I also have a question about Acts 2:17 why say on all flesh and then mean Israel, why not say Israel?

Thank you

LF Humire

What denomination are you?

This blog is basically supported or encouraged by what denomination?

Carm

So heartbreaking when they say to young Christians that if they don’t speak in tongues they are not filled with the Holy Spirit. It causes those who are young in the faith to fall away… or at the very least walk around with a deep pain and stigma that they haven’t really “graduated” into the faith, or that they’re probably not even born again if they have been saved for so long but yet that special sign is missing – so they’re probably not even sealed with Spirit.

Let’s look at the FRUIT of this (split churches, backsliden believers, “gifted” christians who bear no fruit), and then tell me it’s of God.

Hanelie

I need to study the article, but I have always had some concerns with this. I was also made to feel that not being able to speak in tongues meant that you are not filled with the Holy Spirit. However, looking back over my life, I can so clearly see the Holy Spirit’s loving guidance. How we love to make laws – denying the truth of what Christ is offering us, but following a works-based religion instead.

I read something today about people becoming less religious (from the WIN Gallup international index of religiosity, based on church membership as far as I can gather). I almost said “Hallelujah”. We were never called to be religious. How sad that the church responses seem to equate religiosity with Christianity (discipleship).

Vincent

Sorry I didn’t have the time to go through every comment, so please forgive me on that point, just read the article.

1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

My understanding the “perfect” is Jesus at His second coming?
What is the purpose of prophesy? Will it be necessary when Jesus is here?
Also:
Truth = The Word of God
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

2Co 6:6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
2Co 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

From the dictionary I get:
dunamis
doo’-nam-is
From G1410; force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself): – ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

How should I interpret these scriptures?
Am I missing something here?

Louise

Good Morning All you lovely Happy People. (Well I hope you are happy, How can you not be when You have Christ in you.) Smiles.

I have wrestled with this tongue issue for a few years and its reared its nasty head again amongst family and friends and I stand all alone in my walk regarding the tongues issue. Of course I have Christ with me but so do these family and friends who speak in tongues and when we get together the debate gets rather heated often leaving me, yes I shall confess angry. I come from a Charismatic background and have repented of all my past false doings including the tongues issue. It will always be a bone of contention within the church leaving many under bondage. Tell them that tongues is not for today and you can almost see their lips curl up with bitterness and strife so now i simply smile and say I shall pray the Holy Spirit will show you how satanic tongues is.

I dont measure if tongues is for today or not, by the movements who practise them but by what the bible says about it. Sure one can look at all the Christians who do it and say well for one thing they sure lack love. They have this veneer of love on a Sunday but by Monday its back to business.

There are 2 types of tongues used amongst the people and my family and friends cannot answer this one simple question. The one is used in the church and the other is this private language you speak to GOD which you yourself don’t understand as it is suppose to build you up spiritually yet not all people receive this gift. So then you are telling me that GOD only gives this private tongue to certain people to build them up spiritually and many lose out. Ah I say to them, then what you are implying is that GOD is a respecter of people which we know he is not. Why would anyone wish to speak to GOD in a language that they don’t understand. It does not make sense.

My research has bought me to this:

The true Gospel is funded with pennies while the tongues gospels are funded with billions and billions of dollars. If you notice on the major networks like TBN you will not find any or near none non-tongues ministries which are teaching truth. They have to push a palatable gospel so the money continues to flow in. If they teach the true Gospel they will normally not be supported by enough listeners to keep them afloat. And now please don’t tell me they teach truth because I will have to call you a liar and thats just not what I wish to do.

In the final days of earths existence, the church should not be looking to Israel as the hot bed of prophecy as they should be looking to the church. The apostasy has to come first then the rapture then Israel will be the next big issue on the agenda. Its the apostasy of the church which is key to end times. One of the major passages that the tongues movement use is 1 Corinthians chapter 14 as their proof that tongue is for today. Yet they shoot themselves in the foot with Verse 21 an 22.

lets read from the KJV. In the law it is written, with men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people, and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe,but to them that believe not, but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not but for them that believe.
These verses are from Isaiah 28 where GOD prophesies that Judah will be going into captivity by those who not speak their language. In other words a foreign power is going to take them into captivity. Why did this happen? GOD had continually spent prophets of their own people to the nations of Israel and Judah, nevertheless, they did not heed the warnings which the prophets gave them and continued in their apostasy and the end result was captivity.

So you ask what has this got to do to do with the church.?

Since the late 1800’s the church has continually been accepting false theories, doctrines, False bible verses, adding to the Gospel through tongues and prophecy etc which has caused the shipwreck of the church right up to todays times. GOD is sending a foreign power to conquer the church. Now let us ask the question. What is this foreign power? The answer is the Kingdom of satan. Therefore GOD is going to allow satan to come into the church and neutralise the true gospel to its own judgement. In 1 Cor 14:22 GOD, tells us that prophesying are for those who believe. In other words a true Christian will be satisfied and fed with the true word of GOD when they hear it being preached. Those who are unsaved rather will want to see signs and wonders like a tongue, which GOD says is for unbelievers. The great falling away has begun.

if you study church history you will see a pattern of where satan has been allowed to deceive the church. Sadly we have never checked our pastors, afraid that we would fall under GODS judgement if we dare touch GODS anointed. Well I am also GODS anointed in as much that I have Jesus Christ living in and through me.

The tongues (which means legitimate languages) began on pentecost and continued through to the end of the first century, when the book of Revelation was complete. ALL verbal and visual revelation from GOD had ceased and the way we now hear from GOD is through his Word which is illuminated by the Holy Spirit to our understanding.
In the 2nd century there was a church father named Mntanus who believed that tongues did not cease and passed this belief onto his followers.

Even though the belief remained it remained subdued as I feel GOD did not yet plan to use it to judge the church. In fact it was restrained until the very early part of the 2oth century. In 1906 -09 satan made his move at a place called Azusa Street Mission in Los Angels.The result of this heavy tongue speaking began to spread widely across America and the world. Preachers and people came from all over America and carried this poison back to their churches and neighbours. Very similar to the Toronto blessing movement. This generation seeks signs and wonders.

In 1914 satan made his second move in organising this apostasy which resulted in the formation of the Assemblies of God. In 1916 they produced their 4 distinctions and tongues and baptism in the Holy Spirit were 2 of them. In fact in their statement of Fundamental Truth number 7 they claim that Baptism in the Holy Spirit was the normal experience of all in the early church.Where is there biblical proof for this? They are not speaking of believers being baptised in the Holy Spirit upon salvation, they are speaking of tongues.

Even though tongues was spreading across the USA in the early part of the 20th century, it was not yet accepted in mainline churches and therefore their audiences were still rather small but IN 1960 which the decade of moral and spiritual and political decadence the tongues movement began to take off in a big big way. It spread like wild fire breaking up homes and with it came confusion. Sounds satanic to me. I don’t see GOD in this. You must question people.

Now the church embraced this new emotional feeling and replaced truth with sighs and wonders. Then with this evolution of ministries such as Oral Roberts, EW Kenyon, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim and Tammy Baker, Pat Robertson Kennith Hagan and Ken Copeland this gave the tongues international exposure and that was all that was needed for the gullible nature of the natural man to take over. Those who do speak in tongues etc will never be happy with just that they will want more and the dilution that will take hold of the church will sweep people like this with them.
I was told I am missing out on what GOD is doing in the church. Thats fine with me because better I be the called out and chosen than be the church who will go through the tribulation.
If you are going to challenge me on what I wrote be kind to me please because nasty people make me stumble.

Toodles.

happel

[delete]

happel

[delete]

happel

[delete]

Attie

[delete – Attie / happel (posting comments with 2 names)]

Attie

[delete – no I delete them because you ask questions that have already been answered in the comments section over and I do not want to get into a discussion with you because I have other pressing issues at hand]

Sharon

“Speaking in Tongues” This is another issue that is pure heresy. On the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit filled those that were in the upper room, the MEN, Jewish MEN were able to speak 16 different Languages UNDER heaven. The whole purpose of this was to tell the Good News that Jesus was the Messiah & that He had atoned for the sins of all mankind. This gift was given to the MEN. There is nothing that says the women began to speak this way. Every time the Bible speaks of the Gift of Languages there were MALE MESSIANIC JEWS PRESENT. I told someone many years ago that if they could take women out of the issue tongues would cease immediately. She was not amused! It seems to me that the people who think they have been awarded some extra blessing from God, are very arrogant. But I believe that these folks need something to make them feel good and that constantly. So they go to Pentecostal/Assembly of God…etc type of church to get “refilled” for another week. Their “faith” is based on feelings. I have to wonder how they go about witnessing for the Lord and how many they have lead to the Lord. I can get excited when I read God Word. Biblical TRUTH means every thing to me and it is my hearts desire that I never, ever get deceived. God is good…even when I am not. God is faithful…even when I am not. Knowing that the God of the universe loves me…THAT gets me excited.

Gerhard

Pastor Harold Weitsz is a true Prophet of GOD. God says that you must not speak against His anointed. We are all baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in a unknown tongue. (Rom 8:26)

Tom Lessing (Discerning the World)

Gerhard wrote:

Pastor Harold Weitsz is a true Prophet of GOD.

Yes, they are all true prophets of God, aren’t they? I wouldn’t venture to go that far because Matthew 7:22 proves that miracles, including speaking in tongues, are NOT the litmus test for true salvation. John the Baptist never spoke in tongues and neither did he perform one single miracle and yet Jesus said of him: “Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not arisen a greater than John the Baptist: yet he that is but little in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.” (Matthew 11:11).

You’d better make sure whether your Pastor Harold is a true prophet of God because true prophets do not necessarily speak in tongues or perform miracles.

Tom Lessing (Discerning the World)

Gerhard wrote:

Pastor Harold Weitsz is a true Prophet of GOD. God says that you must not speak against His anointed. We are all baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in a unknown tongue. (Rom 8:26)

I’m very surprised that you did not say Pastor Harold Weitsz is a little Messiah and not just a measly old prophet of God. I remember years ago, when he was still employed at the SABC, he used to promulgate Benny Hinn’s heresies.

This is the kind of blasphemy Benny Hinn believes and teaches:

“Say after me: ‘Within me, is a God-Man.’ Say it again: ‘Within me, is a God-Man.’ Now, let’s say [it] even better than that. Let’s say, ‘I am a God-Man.’…This spirit man within me, is God—is a –is a God-Man. Say after me: ‘He’s born of heaven. He’s a super being.’
“God came to earth and touched a piece of dust and turned it into a god…Are you a child of God? Then you’re divine! Then you’re not dust anymore. Are you a child of God? Then you’re not human!
“When you say, ‘I am saved,’ what are you saying? You’re saying, ‘I am a Christian.’ What does that word mean? It means ‘I am anointed.’ You know what the word ‘anointed’ means? It means ‘Christ.’ When you say, ‘I am a Christian,’ you are saying, ‘I am Messiah’ in the Hebrew. I am a little Messiah walking on earth in other words. That’s a shocking revelation.
“Now ladies and gentlemen, you are on earth exactly what Jesus was on earth….As He is so am I, on earth. …When you walk, Jesus is walking. When you talk, He’s talking. When you move, He’s moving.
“When I stand in Christ—I am one with Him; united to Him; one spirit with Him. I am not, hear me, I am not a part of Him, I am Him! The Word has become flesh in me!…When my hand touches someone, it’s the hand of Jesus [that] touches somebody!”

Taken from The Confusing World of Benny Hinn, A Personal Freedom Outreach Publication, 9th edition, December 2002 revision, p. 25,26

Is your Pastor Harold teaching the same heresy? If he is he is merely repeating the lie of the serpent in Genesis.

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil. (Gen 3:4-5)

Osito

Hi Gerard, i just want to ask a question of Rom 8:26. “Cannot be uttered” does it means it cannot be spoken,talk. If thats the meaning, what has speaking in tounge to do with Rom 8:26?

Sharon

The Biblical Gift of Tongues was different KNOWN languages under heaven. Their purpose was to witness and lead people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Read, then reread, then reread Acts chapter 2.

A MALE JEW WAS ALWAYS PRESENT WHEN THIS MIRACLE OF LANGUAGES WAS SPOKEN!!! I have not seen any male Jews present when I personally have heard this nonsensical gibberish. Seems people want the “gifts” but not if they have to receive the “gift” God’s way and for God’s glory. Shame.

Elsje

Good day,

I have read your article and most of the comments (sorry I haven’t read all and apologise if this has already been discussed). Would just like to ask your opinion/interpretation on the whole of 1 Corinthians 14. but especially verse 2 and 4.

I just want to highlight that at the very beginning of chapter 14, Paul states that everyone should eagerly pursue the gift of love AND to earnestly desire and cultivate the spiritual gifts….

Verse 2 read:
2 For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding].

also verse 4:
4 He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [[c]interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness].

clearly verse 2 states that one who speaks in an unknown tongue does so to God, and that secret truths are uttered in the Spirit unto God. So no one understands what is said/prayed.

Verse 4 clearly stakes that he who speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself, and not others.

if you read further verse 22 reads:

22 Thus [unknown] tongues are meant for a [supernatural] sign, not for believers but for unbelievers [on the point of believing], while prophecy (inspired preaching and teaching, interpreting the divine will and purpose) is not for unbelievers [on the point of believing] but for believers.

So this verse is saying that speaking in unknown tongues are for UNBELIEVERS.

clearly in human reasoning Paul is contradicting himself? In verse 2 and 4 he is stating that unknown tongues are for personal edification and secrets are spoken to God. whereas in verse 22 he is clearly stating that unknown tongues are for unbelievers.

My point is this, could it possibly be that Paul is referring to unknown tongues in two distinct ways, i.e. two different gifts. in verse 2 and 4 he is referring to the gift of your personal prayer language with God. whereas in verse 22 he is referring to a gift given by the Holy Spirit to speak in a foreign, unknown language, i.e. earthly language in order to preach the Gospel.

To close, I believe that the gift of tongues are given by the Holy Spirit as are all the other spiritual gifts and we are instructed in the Bible to pursue the Spiritual Gifts, not demand, as the Holy Spirit decides when and how He blesses you with His gifts. No gift is greater than the other and no one can boast in himself when he receives a Spiritual Gift as one cannot deserve it. It is a gift from God and all honour and Glory should go to him and no human being.

Thank you for the opportunity to post on your site.

looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Elsje

Tom Lessing (Discerning the World)

Elsje

As you know the confusion of tongues in Genesis 11 was God’s judgment on fallen man who had disobeyed God. Instead of doing as He commanded in Genesis 9 to spread out and fill the earth, they wanted to make a name for themselves and built themselves cities in one place (Shinar). Humility is the result of trust and obedience while pride is equated with independence and disobedience. The people united to strengthen themselves lest they be scattered over the face of the earth. This was open rebellion against God and instead of wiping them out as He did previously with the Great Flood, He – out of great mercy and loving kindness – confounded their language an scattered them to the four corners of the earth. There’s another incident in the Old Testament where God used foreign languages to judge his people, the Israelite.

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. (Isaiah 28:11)

Here it means in a foreign or barbarous tongue; and the sense is, that the lessons which God wished to teach would be conveyed to them through the language of foreigners – the Chaldeans. They should be removed to a distant land, and there, in hearing a strange speech, in living long among foreigners, they should learn the lesson which they refused to do when addressed by the prophets in their own land.

As you can see, God used a foreign language to judge his own people the Jews. The reason why I mentioned Genesis 9 and 11 is to show that Pentecost was in many ways a reversal or a turnabout, if you will, of God’s dealing with disobedience and sin in the past. Whereas the confusion of the language in Genesis 11 and the use of a foreign language in Isaiah 28 was used as a sign of God’s judgment, it became a sign of God’s mercy, blessing and salvation on the Day of Pentecost. There are several other incidents in the past that were reversed on Pentecost. When Israel sinned with the golden calf and the Levites went through the camp to kill 3000 with the sword, it indicates that God’s judgments were not delayed in the Old Testament. It often fell immediately upon the rebellious. There are of course instances when God delayed his judgment for hundreds of years but then it concerned mainly the Gentiles and not Israel. Now at Pentecost 3000 souls were saved indicating again that a time of refreshing has come and that God’s judgments are delayed so that as many people as possible may be saved (2 Peter 3:9).

Note that the miracle of foreign languages was a sign to unbelievers, not believers. The miracle that attracted the unbelievers occurred when they heard the Galileans speak in their own language. That told them that something very special and something not seen or experienced before was happening. If it were an unknown heavenly language given by God none of the Gentiles would have been saved because those who were gathered in Jerusalem at Pentecost would not have been able to understand it. And there is no evidence of anyone who acted as an interpreter.

Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? (Acts 2:6-8)

You wrote:

Clearly in human reasoning Paul is contradicting himself? In verse 2 and 4 he is stating that unknown tongues are for personal edification and secrets are spoken to God, whereas in verse 22 he is clearly stating that unknown tongues are for unbelievers.

If Paul contradicted himself we may conclude that he was not inspired by the Holy Spirit to write this letter to the Corinthian church because the Holy Spirit cannot possibly contradict Himself. Paul does not speak about an unknown language in verses 2 and 4 as if he were referring to an ecstatic utterance never heard on earth before, in other words a heavenly language. We must remember that when Paul experienced the third heaven (where God has his throne) either in or out of the body, as he said, he heard unspeakable words which were unlawful for a man to utter. (2 Corinthians 2:2-4). The words for unlawful are “Exesti ou” of which the “ou” is an absolute negative meaning that the law may never be transgressed. Now, if the law that forbade Paul or any man to utter unspeakable words spoken in heaven, may never be transgressed, why would God give anyone on earth a heavenly language to speak on earth? God would then be guilty of contravening his own law.

I know of a woman who attended a church with a friend and was in awe with the unknown languages (supposedly heavenly languages) she heard spoken by some of the members. She too wanted to speak in an unknown language because she was told that it was the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. She fervently prayed and asked God to give her an unknown language. It went on for months and nothing happened. At last she prayed “If you don’t want to give me an unknown language I am going to ask Mother Mary.” She immediately spoke in an unknown tongue. The question we need to ask is whether the tongue came from God. Catholics may think so but I don’t.

Another example is an incident that happened during the Zulu revival in Natal, South Africa several years ago. A Zulu unbeliever passed a church and heard the members speak in strange languages. He could not resist his curiosity and went inside to see what was happening. After the service he went to the pastor and asked him “Do you know what that man (pointing to him) said when he spoke in another language?” “No, said the pastor.” “I know the dialect he spoke in very well and he was cursing God in the most foul and filthy way imaginable. I wouldn’t attend this church even if I were a Christian.” The sangomas (witch doctors) and shamans in Natal can also speak in tongues.

Having said this, we must come to the conclusion that when Paul spoke of unknown tongues, he was referring to languages unknown to the Corinthians. If, said Paul, there was no one in church who was able to interpret the foreign language spoken by some of the members, it would be best for him of her to keep quiet in church and rather talk to God in their language at home because it only edifies them and not the church who does not understand the language.

John Andrews UK/Ireland

I am not answering any specific person’s comments on this very important subject. It is a subject that has and is causing division, arguments and ill-feeling amongst many on both sides. Tongues is another word for languages. This insight should have been clarified early on preventing the “mystery” of tongues and whether it is for us today. God is not a God of confusion. We should all agree on this one fact. There should then be only one way that God would have us understand his Bible? God will not give us a snake when we ask for food: Luke 11:11-13 (NIV)

11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

If tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit then it should be giving us clarity and not confusion. I believe this totally. Why then would God have tongues operating in churches today or even at home as a “private language”?

I have been in many churches over the past 30 odd years – some that had tongues as part of the service and others that did not. Was I confused in churches that used (and still use) tongues – YES, and still am very ill at ease! Was or am I confused when in a church that does not operate with tongues – NO! Did I in the past think that tongues were genuine – YES! Do I now think that tongues (unintelligible utterances) still exist – NO!

The comments on this matter have been running a long time and I would suggest that some have gone back to the scriptures and abandoned their view/s on whether tongues are valid in the church today.
Arguments that have been brought have been long winded (so much so that we tend to have to take a break to “refresh” our brain. Is this God’s will? – NO!

2 Tim: 2:23 (NIV) Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.

Do you and will you think that your view should/might change? This is where the “rubber hits the tar” – WILL YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR PRESENT CHURCH IF YOUR VIEW CHANGES – this means an upheaval regarding friends and your comfort zone.

Can we be honest with ourselves and ask God to have us “test the spirits” and be approved by God? It might seem a small or “peripheral matter” to some, but I am convinced that God will not leave a true believer sitting on the fence with what I sincerely believe is a fleshly desire to cling to a disruptive force of deception that panders to our ego. Are we implicit in the crime?

1 John 4:1-6 (NIV)

Test the Spirits

1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. 4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

May God give you the wisdom and the endurance to run the race. God’s truth is the higher road.

Truth: A God of truth and without iniquity; just and right is He.’ Deut 32:4. For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.’ Psa 57:10. Plenteous in truth.’ Psa 86:15.

Peace : Col 3:15-17 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father”

AriseMyLove

Deborah (Discerning the World) wrote:

Deborah: I agree with 99.9 percent of your website. However, I absolutely speak in tongues. I was born again at 17 and a few weeks later, was watching a frightening movie on tv. I ran out of the room, terrified, and decided to take a shower. In the shower, i started speaking in tongues as a way to calm me down, I suppose. I knew it was the Holy Spirit’s calming presence upon me, though I did not understand what I was saying. There is a more confirming story I will take the time to write out for you later, a very dramatic way the Lord gave the gift of interpretation of my tongues to someone I was witnessing to. This occurred only a few months after I had been born again and it was an encouragement to me (as well as the person who was granted the gift of interpretation in that odd moment).

I completely agree that being baptized in the Spirit is not the same as receiving the gift of tongues. I believe there was some amendment to this teaching by the FourSquare church; it is obvious error.

But, still, the gifts did not cease at Pentecost, they were poured out at Pentecost. I’m surprised that you are not into understanding the efficacy of tongues considering all your excellent work on John MacArthur (as one example of those who believe the gifts are not for today).

I look forward to posting on your site again and will welcome your scrutiny of my early miraculous experience(s) concerning the miracle of the gift of tongues.

Intellectually, when one has this gift, you tend to totally “take it for granted” as to what a total miracle it is. I think that might have been why the Lord allowed such a dramatic experience to happen to me early on.

Enough teasing — I will write it up for you soon. Lord Bless you, very very much Deborah for all your hard work on this website.

John Andrews UK/Ireland

AriseMyLove wrote:

Deborah: I agree with 99.9 percent of your website. However, I absolutely speak in tongues. I was born again at 17 and a few weeks later, was watching a frightening movie on tv. I ran out of the room, terrified, and decided to take a shower. In the shower, i started speaking in tongues as a way to calm me down, I suppose. I knew it was the Holy Spirit’s calming presence upon me, though I did not understand what I was saying.
-Deleted-
But, still, the gifts did not cease at Pentecost, they were poured out at Pentecost. I’m surprised that you are not into understanding the efficacy of tongues.

Where did you come from on this topic?

Also if you do agree with 99.9% of this forum you have strayed onto the wrong website to espouse your “speaking in tongues” issue. It is nonsensical to say you agree with Deborah? Deborah, as far as I know will not accept the sign gifts as operative today. A lot more on this forum than 0.1% would be against what you say you do believe in. Is there a new branch of the Charismatics called the “scrambled egg movement” that has not been seen before?

So your version of water baptism is taking a shower, after watching a scary movie?

You are a comedian on the wrong website!

161
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x